Burien Social Security Office

151 Sw 156 Street
Burien, WA - 98166



Email Address

Not available

Web address


Leave a Review

Your review is for this website only. Call the Social Security Dept directly to ask a question.


  1. Feb 5, 2019

    I am done dealing with rude heartless people. To be hung up on by D because I have echoing and speaker use necessary living in a boiler room. Then when I called back- I believe it was her to pick up my call only to place back on hold not once or twice- but 5 TIMES - When she did speak- I was clear to request supervisor- she refused to allow me to speak to one, or to remain on hold until such time one was available. I am requesting review of the phone calls made by me today and expect immediate actions taken.

  2. Aug 15, 2018

    Very disappointing experience with the office and representative Mary Kay. Mailed in a name change with all the appropriate/private documents in May, received a voicemail in June that they can not accept the change request via mail (no problem) Mary Kay was going to mail all documents back so I could go in person. One month passed no documents, I called twice and left voicemails with no call back. Now two months since Mary Kay's voicemail and still no documents, I've called multiple times with no answer or call back. You should know the documents were a copy of our ID, a birth certificate as well as an approved certified name change petition - very sensitive identity information and it is no where to be found. I've worked union and have been a state employee; the lack of follow through, communication, and empathy is astounding.

  3. Jun 15, 2018

    Please know that I had a very good experience when I visited your office yesterday at 10:45 a.m. Yes, there was some waiting as one expects when visiting one of your busy offices. However, since I had called several days ahead for an appointment, my wait was very reasonable, shorter than expected! The gentleman who helped me (unfortunately I forgot his name) was exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful. I left, feeling that all my questions had been answered and that I had learned a few things in addition. Overall, a very good experience!

  4. Jan 18, 2018

    Horrible experience...unable to get Mr. Young to call me back. Been trying for 2 weeks

  5. Aug 26, 2016

    Security guard would not let me stand. When I complained this is not lawfully and we are not in communist Russia, he threatened to "take me outside". I questioned whether he was a law officer it took several times questioning before he admitted he was not. I told him to stop in that case. His partner made passification hand signals to him and he backed off. What type of world do we live in when security guards are threatening people at OUR government offices.

  6. Jul 11, 2016

    Dear Burien SS OFFICE. There are no words to describe the Stresss YOU CAUSE...Sitting in your waiting room with ONE WINDOW operating...The lack of work oreintated...educated...considerate..helpful..humans in this building is amazing. A busy Monday and YOU have one window open??????? Im a teacher and also a State employee here to get a letter for my daughter and I am UTTERLY ASHAMED to see my Goverment operate this idiotic way!!!! SHAME ON ALL OF YOU !!!!!!!!

  7. Oct 20, 2015

    The person who helped us was very rude. I was going to translate for my sister in law, who doesn't speak English. But she didn't wanted to speak to me in English just because I didn't understand one of the question, so she just got someone on the phone to translate instead of repeat the question slowly. I was discriminated by this person. And this person shouldn't be working representing an office like this. And she doesn't even speak English very well to be judging my English pronunciation or understanding. She was very rude asking questions like why I went there instead to go to another office near where I live. She treated us like crap. She was all the time standing instead of seating and screaming, telling my sister in law not to talk to me, not to look at me or her husband who was next to her. She was very despective. Again this person can't be working there anymore. I really ask to managers in this office to take care of this situation as soon as possible and look at people working here how they treat these persons coming to the SSOffice for help and have to deal with mistreatment of this people who are supposed to be helpful at least. This is discrimination...

  8. Aug 7, 2015

    was on hold for 40 long minutes, but when the lady that eventually attended my call picked up was very polite and answered all my questions.

  9. Jul 29, 2015

    Yes, I called, got automated response, was put on hold, kept my phone on speaker, went home, fixed and ate lunch, and went back to work (about 40 minutes) still on hold with automated messages about every minute. It's ridiculous!

  10. May 28, 2015

    Was on hold for 29 min today and then "cllicked" in to speak with someone. I could hear a women talking to someone but no one was responding to me when I said Hello, Hello etc. Then all of a sudden a recording came on for me to take a survey of my experience. I hung up and am making my experience know here.

Did you see a problem with this listing?

The Burien Social Security Office determines eligibility and pays benefits to those entitled to survivor benefits. Determines eligibility and pays benefits to the entitled legally blind. Determines eligibility and pays retirement benefits to those entitled aged 62 and older.

Monday     9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Tuesday     9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Wednesday     9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Thursday     9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Friday     9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Saturday     Closed
Sunday     Closed


SSI makes monthly payments to people who have low income and few resources and are:
Age 65 or older;
Blind; or

If you are applying for SSI, you can complete a large part of your application by visiting our website at www.socialsecurity.gov. You also can call us toll-free at 800-772-1213 to ask for an appointment with a Social Security representative.

Parents or guardians usually can apply for blind or disabled children under age 18. In some cases, other third parties can apply for children.

You should bring certain items when you apply. Even if you do not have all of the things listed below, apply anyway. The people in the Social Security office can help you get whatever is needed.
Please bring:
- Your Social Security card or a record of your Social Security number;
- Your birth certificate or other proof of your age;
- Information about the home where you live, such as your mortgage or your lease and landlord's name;
- Payroll slips, bank books, insurance policies, burial fund records and other information about your income and the things you own;
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of doctors, hospitals and clinics that you have been to, if you are applying for SSI because you are disabled or blind;
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or eligible noncitizen status; and
- Your checkbook or other papers that show your bank, credit union or savings and loan account number. If you are approved for SSI, you must receive your
payments electronically. Payments may be made via direct deposit, the Direct Express® card program or an Electronic Transfer Account. For more information, visit www.GoDirect.org.

How to apply online?
Visit www.socialsecurity.gov and select 'Apply online for disabilitybenefits.'
Fill out the Disability Benefit Application
Answer the questions on the Adult Disability Report
Mail or take the documents to this Social Security office.

The online forms are available to you seven days a week during the following hours (Eastern time):
Monday-Friday: 5 a.m. until 1 a.m.
Saturday: 5 a.m. until 11 p.m.
Sunday: 8 a.m. until 10 p.m.
Holidays: 5 a.m. until 11 p.m.

Opening Up a MySocialSecurity Account
If you paid in to Social Security or are looking for benefits, you will need to open a 'my Social Security' account. This is an online account directly from the Social Security Administration that lets you keep track of and manage your SSA benefits, and allows you to make changes to your Social Security record. My Social Security Account

Getting a Social Security Card OR Replacing A Social Security Card OR Correcting A Social Security Card
1. Learn what documents you'll need to get an original, replacement, or corrected Social Security card, whether it's for a child or adult, U.S. citizen or noncitizen. Documents List.
2. Read the instructions for and fill out an application for a new, replacement, or corrected card. Social Security Forms
3. Social Security cards aren't processed online. Print your application and find out where to take it in person or mail it.

Missing Social Security Checks or Payments
Contact the agency. The paying agency will provide you instructions on how to file a claim File the claim with the paying agency. (800) 772-1213.

Supplemental Security Income
Pays benefits based on financial need.

Social Security Disability
Public social insurance programs that replace income lost because of a physical or mental impairment severe enough to prevent a previously employed person from working. Monthly cash benefits are paid to the eligible individual with a disability and his or her eligible dependents throughout the period of disability.

SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits. People who have worked long enough may also be able to receive Social Security disability or retirement benefits as well as SSI.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a replacement Social Security number card?
There is no cost to obtain a free or new Social Security Card. Get an application at this web link: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf. Then, either mail in your application or visit your local office. Try to make an appointment before visiting your location Social Security Office.
How do I change or correct my name on my Social Security number card?
If you legally change your name due to marriage, divorce, or any other reason, you need to go to your local office.
How do I apply for Social Security retirement benefits?
It is recommended that you apply for retirement benefits three months before you want your payments to start. Applying online at https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib. One or more of the following documents may be needed in order to apply online. The end of the online application will provide instructions on where to submit them. The documents we may ask for are: Original birth certificate or other proof of birth [more info] (You may also submit a copy of your birth certificate certified by the issuing agency); Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [more info]; Copy of your U.S. military service paper(s) (e.g., DD-214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) if you had military service before 1968; [more info]; and Copy of your W-2 form(s) [more info] and/or self-employment tax return [more info] for last year.
How long will it take to get a Social Security card?
The Social Security Administration will mail your Social Security card as soon as they have all of the necessary information and have verified the appropriate documents. Generally, you will get your card within 10 business days from the date on your receipt.
How long would it take to get by mail my Disability Benefits Award Letter?
An award letter, AKA award notice, is what shows that a claim for benefits has been approved.
The Award letter is usually mailed to the recipient within a few months of Social Security approving their benefit application.
The Social Security office does not have an established deadline for mailing the award letters. Some claimants will get their letters even after Social Security has issued their first benefit payment or earlier than that.
The wait is longer if your case was decided on a hearing.
Apply for Benefits Here.
Can I schedule, reschedule, or cancel an appointment with Social Security, through your website?
No. We do not have direct contact with any of the offices listed on our website, we only provide the locations with the contact information, you must call them directly.
If I give you my Social Security Number and personal Information, can you check the Status of my case or check my application status?
No. We do not have direct contact with any of the offices listed on our website, we only provide the locations with the contact information, you must call them directly. We strongly advise that you do not provide your Social Security Number or personal information through this website or any other website. Contact your local Social Security office directly in order to obtain your case status or for more information.

Closest Area Social Security Offices